You are right. I am sorry I mis-spoke. What I meant was that if the light
moves a bit, the torque increases on the standing light, whereas it
decreases on the hanging light. So in one case, you have a light that is
balanced on a ridge, in the other, it's in a valley, so to speak. The main
advantage of the hanging light is its ease of mounting on racks, as the
originally-discussed blug post pointed out...

Jan Heine
Editor
Bicycle Quarterly
www.bikequarterly.com