I think with a brand new frame, I'd be itching to ride it. If it were my
first crack at building up a bike, I'm sure it would take much longer to
build up completely than having a shop build it. Also, all the hiccups that
accompany a beginning mechanic would confound the time. I'd surely not want
to have to make several adjustments after several test rides to get
everything dialed in.
I agree with Joe on this one. If you're inclined to learn how to wrench, do
it on a bike you don't mind having in the workstand more than you'd be
wanting to ride it.
David
Chicago