Hi Pat,
No suspension is definitely the easiest and fastest way to get a tank
going. And while it might not be the most scale or smoothest ride, it sure
beats not having a moving tank at all! I tried to incorporate a simple
suspension on my Locust during construction but later went to hard axles
when I kept having issues.
If you end up using wood for the TTS track I'd recommend you not use wood
for the tracking tabs. Wooded tabs (in my experience) break too easily and
can be a pain to replace. Instead, use 1/2" by 1/2" aluminum angle cut into
half inch pieces and secure them on the wooden track with a screw and a
little E6000 glue. If something goes wrong with the track and some tabs get
bent, use some pliers to straighten them. If they break, take out the screw
and replaced it. Much easier to fix than a wooden tab broke off half way
with a brad sticking out of it, especially when you're in a hurry.
Hope to see you at a battle someday soon.
Agent "Smith"