I assume RDA rules for prime entry are now in preparation.  The
following is one matter which I hope will receive attention.

Mac

-------- Forwarded message --------
Date: Tue, 3 Jan 2006 15:29:59 -0500
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Fw: Entry for legal texts with original author at head of title

Hello --

1.  This is a comment for RDA on the practise of AACR2 with regard to
entry for such titles as:

100 1_ |a Winfield, Sir Percy Henry, |d 1878-1953.
245 10 |a Winfield on tort.
250 __ |a 8th ed. |b / by J A Jolowicz and T. Ellis Lewis.
260 __ |a London: |b Sweet & Maxwell, |c 1967.
300 __ |a lv, 819 p.
500 __ |a First ed. published in 1937 under title: A text-book of the
law of tort.
650 _0 |a Torts |z Great Britain.
700 10 |a Jolowica, John Anthony.
700 10 |a Ellis Lewis, Tom.

[AACR2 would now have Jolowicz as prime entry.]

2. I wish to echo the comments of  Mr. J. McRee Elrod (below). Our
academic clientele who are knowledgeable about the literature prefer
the "older form of entry". Those that are not knowledgeable, come to
appreciate the "older form of entry".

Mr. J. McRee Elrod's point, although he does not emphasize it, is
that lawyers (in their court submissions -- briefs, facta, etc) are using
the "older style entry" in those documents.

Law publishers (especially the English) also often market, and format
the title pages, to reflect this "older style entry".

3. This seems to me to be a point where cataloguing practise should
reflect what is preferred by the clientele.

Respectfully submitted,

Paul T. Murphy,
Law Librarian & Professor of Law,
University of Windsor,
Windsor, Ontario,  Canada N9B 3P4
Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

When AACR2 changed entry for such titles as Smith's Torts, 14th ed. by
Jim Jones, from Smith to Jones, our law firm customers would not
accept the change.  They maintained that legal citation continued to
be Smith, and the MARC record prime entry should agree with the
citation.

   __       __   J. McRee (Mac) Elrod ([EMAIL PROTECTED])