Ed Jones said:
>My point is that this system works _only_ if the ISBD punctuation is
>_preceding_ punctuation.  It's not the fault of ISBD that MARC has never
>been optimized to supply it automatically.

It also only works if fields are displayed in ISBD order.  In far too
many OPACs, the ISBD is deconstructed, and there is no way of knowing
in what order elements will be displayed.

Life would be much simpler if all fields ended in full stops, or none
did (as with UKMARC), with punctuation being system supplied.

We still expect systems to supply the curves around series, but few
supply the gmd brackets, full stops, or any other punctuation.

In the absence of system supplied punctuation, all elements/fields
should end in full stops.  I'm happy to accept your solution for
dashes.  In the early days of Catts, we keyed those in.

   __       __   J. McRee (Mac) Elrod ([EMAIL PROTECTED])