Martha M. Yee said:
>The fundamental assumption behind this mapping project, as explained in the
>first paragraph, is an incorrect assumption.  The elements of the
>bibliographic description cannot logically be mapped to one and only one
>FRBR entity.

Which points up the basic falicy of the FRBRization of cataloguing rules.

Coordination among bibliographic records should be a post cataloguing
function, not part of the cataloguing process itself.  To say it
another way, we should be looking at catalogue construction, not the
creation of bibliographic records.

Certainly there are elements of a bibliographic record which can
assist post cataloguing coordination, such as (to lapse into MARC
short hand) 130, 240, 4XX, 730, 780/785.  But our basic task is to
catalogue *items*, and with the assistance of authority records for
*works*, relate those records to each other in the catalogue, not
complicate the bibliographic records of items themselves.  Forget
manifestations and expressions, apart from 250, and the late lamented
503.

Multivers died at Toronto, but the concept seems to have risen from
the dead.

   __       __   J. McRee (Mac) Elrod ([EMAIL PROTECTED])