Yes, there is a difference. Alternative titles and parallel titles
aren't worded the same way. There remains the problem of what to do with
that pesky little "or". If we treated them as parallel titles, would we
transcribe

The tempest = or The enchanted island

or perhaps

The tempest or = The enchanted island

or just drop the "or"

The tempest = The enchanted island

?

There remain quite a number of us who still believe in the principles of
transcription and authorial/publisher's intent and aren't interested in
a solution that dumps "or", miniscule as the word may be.

Bob

Robert L. Maxwell
Special Collections and Ancient Languages Catalog Librarian
Genre/Form Authorities Librarian
6728 Harold B. Lee Library
Brigham Young University
Provo, UT 84602