Kevin M. Randall said:
>I think what Robert was getting at was:  When the entire phrase (including
>alternate title) is indexed, should it file as "Twelfth night, or, What you
>will" or as "Twelfth night What you will"?

Of course if both title proper and alternate titles are being indexed
as one string, all words would be filed on.  Nonfiling for "or", as
one poster suggested, would only be needed if it were at the beginning
of the alternate title with only one subfield code, e.g., "Twelfth
night,$bor, What you will" would require "or " (3 spaces) to be
nonfiling.  That's the way we code now, and do a 246 30 $aWhat you
will, as we do for distinctive subtitles.

A new 245 subfield code $i would also be helpful for "and", "the" at
the beginning of subtitles, etc.

   __       __   J. McRee (Mac) Elrod ([EMAIL PROTECTED])