I'm afraid I remain as perplexed on what FRBR has to say about this as
you

I continue to maintain that a reproduction of an item results in a
manifestation (which of course includes one or more items), although I
suppose you could talk about the relationship between item A, the source
of the reproduction, and item B, one of the items in the manifestation
resulting from the reproduction, but how is that really useful? It *is*
useful to bring out the relationship between the new manifestation and
the specific item it was reproduced from.

As for the wording of Table 5.10 and its explanatory text, I think there
are some real problems with it. I can certainly see the reconfiguration
situation as an "item-to-item" relationship. E.g., things bound together
(post-publication) are individual items that are physically related to
each other. I suppose "split into" and "extracted from" would also be
examples of this, as long as we mean physically split or extracted (e.g.
the article is ripped out of the magazine). (This is NOT talking about
serials splits or offprints [I presume].) Though with splits and
extractions, what exactly are the two items being related to each other?
In the case of ripping the article out of the magazine, is it the
relationship between the ripped out article and the rest of the magazine
that didn't get ripped?

But as explained above I have real reservations about the second example
in the table of an item-to-item relationship. I also think the
explanatory text on p. 80 contradicts the example, claiming that
"replication of one item from another always results in an item of the
same physical characteristics as the original." Back to the table, how
is a "microreproduction" or a "macroreproduction" "of the same physical
characteristics as the original"? By definition each is either smaller
or bigger than the original, and probably made of completely different
materials (a different "carrier", which the text claims can only happen
with an item to manifestation reproduction relationship). In the table,
"reproduction" and "facsimile" could be anything, and most likely also
do not have the same physical characteristics as the original, unless
you have the most scrupulously created facsimile.

Perhaps others might have comments on this.

Robert L. Maxwell
Special Collections and Ancient Languages Catalog Librarian
Genre/Form Authorities Librarian
6728 Harold B. Lee Library
Brigham Young University
Provo, UT 84602