From: Resource Description and Access / Resource Description and Access
[mailto:rd...@infoserv.nlc-bnc.ca] On Behalf Of Bernhard Eversberg
Sent: Tuesday, January 20, 2009 7:19 AM
To: RDA-L@INFOSERV.NLC-BNC.CA
Subject: Re: [RDA-L] Preferred access points for Expressions

Weinheimer Jim wrote:

> I have followed the VIAF for some time and applaud the general
> direction. This is the sort of project that should be given high
> priority since true exchange of this type of information can lead to
> genuine cooperation and a real savings in time and money for users as
> well as for libraries. It would also be one of the most important
> advances toward the Semantic Web, which could raise our profile
> significantly. There was another project called "Onesac" in Denmark
that
> I consulted with briefly. If was all in RDF(!!!), had authority
records
> from all over Europe and was extremely advanced. It seems to have
died,
> however. http://www.portia.dk/websites/onesac.htm

Interesting though this looks, one wonders what became of it. Project
ran until 2005 - but is there a final report? At least one would like
to read what can be learnt from it.

VIAF has an impressive web presence at OCLC, but even there, it is
difficult to find anything about the state of the project, and esp.,
about impending new stages or problems they might have run into.

> The example you point out should be eminently fixable although I don't
> know how it would work now: finding references of references. Using
URIs
> can be done in a whole variety of ways. Using URIs is not that much
> different from how relational databases work today ...

What exactly do you want to say here?
Do you really mean relational databases? I see this term frequently
used erroneously instead of "entity-relationship" databases. The word
"relational" in RDBS does precisely not say that the database cares
about relations between objects or entities. The term was created by
mathematicians who developed the first models. For them, a "relation"
was just a mathematical term taken from set theory and meaning a subset
of a table.

B.E.