It's kind of arbitrary whether they are considered the same work or different work. But the library community has decided to consider them different works, for a bunch of reasons that are probably documented somewhere or other

So if they're different works, why do they need to be linked? Precisely because it's a kind of arbitrary decision, and a user may well be interested to find that there's a film version of the novel, or to find the original novel the film was based on -- and only by linking them somehow in the record can our systems then display that related work to the user.

Some systems may even decide to group them together as one 'work' in the display, even though our record-keeping-system considers them seperate work. That linking would allow an individual system to do that, if it so chose.

Jonathan.

Christoph Schmidt-Supprian wrote:
Excuse my ignorance, but why are the film and the novel two different
works? Are they not different expressions of the same work, that is,
is the film not an adaptation of the novel?  And if they are separate
works, why do they need to be linked to each other?

I'm still a novice in FRBR and don't expect anyone to go into great
detail of what might be very basic knowledge to most of you, but if
there is an obvious and short explanation, I would really appreciate
hearing it!

Regards,
Christoph

-----
Dr. Christoph Schmidt-Supprian
Assistant Librarian
Bibliographic Data Management
Trinity College Library
Dublin
(e) schm...@tcd.ie
(t) +353 +1 896 1659

On Tue, Apr 21, 2009 at 10:30 PM, Adam L. Schiff