Bernhard Eversberg wrote:
Weinheimer Jim wrote:

But I think this misses the point: does WEMI define the universe of information, *and* define what people want when they search information? From my understanding of FRBR/RDA, everything must be boiled down to WEMI.

It's the classical mental image for the structure of published
resources. It emerged at a time when there was no dynamism and
interactivity in publishing but only static, physical items one could
relate to each other in defined ways.

Yes; even so, I remain unconvinced that the "containing work" (a monograph collection of contributions, like that favorite academic creation, the festschrift; or, above all, a serial publication containing articles) is really the same kind of beast as a "work" in the sense of a person's writing, or a picture -- I suspect the analogies are weak, and appear tolerable only because in the past we've used similar devices do deal with them, basically ignoring the constituent works which they contain. Consolidation of like attributes is one thing; reductionism (which involves ignoring of significant differences because they don't seem to fit your narrowly-focussed purpose right now, and can therefore be plausibly but inaccurately said not to matter) is quite another, and undermines our efforts.

I see our task as trying to give access to this information in the most coherent way for our users. Is seeing everything through "WEMI-colored lenses" the only way, the best way, or even a correct way, of doing it?

Not in my view -- WEMI is only properly applicable to essentially coherent documents.

Besides, FRBR/WEMI/FRAD show no signs of being applied to make the kind of links which, in principle, could be created. I think I've quoted before one of my own fields of interest: spiritual writings used by Elizabethan Catholics. In this cluster of documents Jesuits authors, editors and publishers are a significant group of contributors. But no mechanism, present or proposed (except my own endeavours, for myself), enables me to apply a search criterion to discovering or organizing the resources, namely what documents have a Jesuit connection?

And if you're going to move outside the document field -- resources which have a degree of fixity -- I really don't understand how you can operate in combination with documentary resource systems.

Hal Cain
Dalton McCaughey Library
Parkville, Victoria, Australia
h...@dml.vic.edu.au