Mac said:

>It seems to me "preferred title" is the RDA core element which is most
>like "uniform title" in AACR2.  Except that it applies only to
>distinctive uniform titles.  What about classical music form uniform
>titles (the only 240s our clients like), and voluminous author form
>uniform titles such as "Works" which fewer like?  Presumably
>"preferred title" takes care of "Romeo and Juliet" but not "Works",
>"Plays", "Poems", etc.

In music, the “preferred title” corresponds to the “initial title element” in
AACR2, i.e. the basic title without additions. These additions (e.g. medium of
performance, number, key) are treated as distinct elements in RDA.
Compilations, as aggregate works, also have preferred titles in RDA. “Works” or
“Plays” are examples of such titles.

>I can only hope "preferred title" will be in an authority record, not
>in individual bibliographic records, in most cases; particularly when
>identical to the title proper.

The December 2008 draft of RDA includes the following text under instruction
6.0:

Preferred access points [changed to “authorized access points” at the last JSC
meeting] representing works and expressions can be used for different purposes.
They provide the means for:
b) identifying a work when the title by which it is known differs from the
title proper of the resource being described

Given that, in an implementation of RDA in current database structures, the
preferred title for the work would appear in bibliographic records only as part
of an access point (130, 1XX/240 or 7XX), I take this as an indication that in
such an implementation, a 130 or 240 field would not be included in
bibliographic records if it were identical to the 245. In a relational or
object-oriented database structure with separate records for each of the Group
1 entities, I don’t see how work records could exist without a “Preferred title
of the work.”

Daniel Paradis

Service de catalogage
Pavillon Roger-Gaudry, local L-981