I don't think anyone is realistically suggesting that existing legacy records be manually changed to not have abbreviations.

RDA is just suggesting that going forward they are not used.

For all the carping from catalogers that love abbreviations, I do not understand what the benefit is supposed to be. [For what it's worth, it would actually be _easier_ for software to take fully spelled out words and abbreviate them in display, then it is to expand abbreviations. Although not neccesarily a walk in the park either way.]