Robert Maxwell writes:
> ... It has long bothered me, though, that FRBR defines a lot of
> things as attributes that it ALSO defines as entities. Like place, which is
> an attribute of a
> number of entities, but also an entity itself. Or having publisher be an
> attribute of
> manifestation when a publisher is a person, family, or corporate body (all
> entities). So I do
> think this is imprecise, at the least...

But it's not the same thing.  What appears in the 260 is a transcription from
the item, so it's a slight misnomer to call 260$b the "publisher"--rather, it's
what we (used to?) call the "publisher STATEMENT."  Unless there is an actual
proviso somewhere else in RDA (not having read it yet) that sidesteps this
issue, perhaps this attribute should be renamed to "transcription of publisher
statement."

We had a discussion on AUTOCAT a few years ago about the fact that, since
publisher statements vary so widely, it would be nice to authoritize the
publisher statement in some way. Well, here's the way. The publisher statement,
as transcribed from the manifestation, is simply a fact about the manifestation
which implies (but does not explicitly state) a relationship between that
manifestation and the publisher entity.  Whether that relationship is
explicitified elsewhere in the description cloud is a separate question.

Misha Schutt
Catalog Librarian
Burbank (Calif.) Public Library
(818) 238 5570