Others have made many points in this discussion that I agree with, which
I'd just like to summarize and reiterate; my opinion that the heading
should be constructed as simply "Snoopy" remains unchanged.

If one consults the OCLC bib file and other reference resources for the
predominant form of name for Snoopy, the unadorned name clearly wins.
Therefore, based on RDA 9.2.2.2a/c, the preferred form of the name should
be Snoopy, without any mention of doctorness. As Mr. Creider has stated: "
The existence of the title 'Dr.' does not, by itself, imply two distinct
identities"; we've certainly seen resources before where name forms have
varied, and included professional criteria on only some preferred sources
of information.

Unless one assumes that Dr. Snoopy is somehow different from plain Snoopy,
and would advocate a series of maybe linked authorities for each differing
guise of a character. Mr. Schouten, for example, claims that: "even
fictional characters are entitled to their own Personae". But I would argue
against this route for multiple reasons. Fictitious character cannot truly
have professions, so they aren't really different "persons" despite the
guise; moreover, because of their fluid, unreal nature, they can have a
plethora of possible guises, much more so than a real person, which would
make creating authorities a nightmare. Do we really want to go down the
route of providing linked (and constantly changing) authorities for
characters like superheroes, who change aliases depending on storyline
(like Spider Man, who for a brief period was Ben Reilly instead of Peter
Parker--until it was determined that Ben Reilly was a clone, who is now the
Scarlet Spider in a different series), or include personae created in
one-off graphic novels exploring aspects of a character but intended to be
part of a character's continuity?

I believe that insisting on following "real person" rules too strictly for
fictitious characters, without allowing common sense to influence the
decision about headings, does a disservice to users, who would certainly
not expect, need, or desire, to find information about Snoopy under
"Snoopy, Dr." Particularly since LC may void subject headings in favor of
created name headings for fictitious characters, I believe it behooves
catalogers to be conservative, and general, in their creation of such
headings. It does not benefit access to force users to use multiple/related
searches, with the dreaded attendant mouse clicks, to find everything about
Snoopy under his supposed different personae. As Mr. Weinheimer has pointed
out, headings and changes to headings should be made only because "it has
been demonstrated that these are the kinds of changes that will help our
patrons find the materials they need".

For all the reasons above, I still believe that the heading example should
be changed to simply "Snoopy", and I will be forwarding my requests to the
appropriate channels.

Deborah Tomaras, NACO Coordinator
Librarian II
Western European Languages Team
New York Public Library
Library Services Center
31-11 Thomson Ave.
Long Island City, N.Y. 11101
(917) 229-9561
dtoma...@nypl.org

Disclaimer: Alas, my ideas are merely my own, and not indicative of New
York Public Library policy.