In reading RDA's section on Date of Publication and Copyright Date, I'm seeing
a somewhat different pattern than what has been discussed.

There are numerous >>relationships<< between the different elements that affect
how we think about the elements, and ultimately how we should encode them and
display them.

Copyright Date is not just set against the Date of Publication as a separate
element. The Date of Publication is a sub-element of an element in its own
right-- Publication Statement. A Publication Statement essentially captures an
event which has a place, agent, and date. A copyright date is not directly
related to that event, other than suggesting a probable date of publication
should the date of publication be unknown.

Likewise, Production Statement, Publication Statement, Distribution Statement,
and Manufacture Statement, are all independent elements, with their own
sub-elements, and all are distinct from the Copyright Date element.

These separate elements and related sub-elements are reflected in the layout of
the Notes (RDA 2.20). "A note is an annotation providing additional information
relating to data recorded in another element."

A note on dates of publication is captured in a Note on Publication Statement
element (there is no note for the sub-element Date of Publication-- a note on a
date of publication has to be covered by the note for the wider element,
Publication Statement). A note on copyright dates is an optional annotation on
the data in the original element-- Copyright Date.

I think that mapping out all the data into these new RDA elements provides many
possibilities for convenient future displays of that data, since it makes sense
to have all relevant data about an element grouped together, rather than
scattered around, with some in disconnected notes at the bottom of the record
as AACR2 has it now. Splicing together the original elements in a MARC 260
field is a bit challenging, but it's a step in the right direction to get away
from having interloping data elements, such as those the crowded 260$c
subfield, interfering in the ability to provide new kinds of user-friendly
displays, or even just interfering in the ability for encoding standards to
have a single meaning for the value of a field.

RDA, as a content standard, should be flexible enough to produce traditional
displays (for reasonable backwards-compatibility) and new kinds of displays for
the new digital environment. That's how the arrangement and interrelationships
of RDA elements should be looked at.

Thomas Brenndorfer
Guelph Public Library