Good afternoon,

Thomas said, "It's the agency's relationship to the user base that dictates
what policies and guidelines for catalog records will be followed."

then James said, " ... that a single author was good enough when there were
more than three. Do I agree? No, and I never did. So what? There are lots of
people who don't agree with what is mandated in the standards, but it
doesn't matter: they are still the standards and

must be followed. Otherwise, they are not standards.

Sometimes an agency requires something that the rules can not provide.
There are instances whereby tracing ALL names are important to the said
agency.  I have had to create a work-around so that I comply to rules, but
give "them" what they want.

Example: a technical report with four authors.

Title main entry: [title] / $c by [author no. one] ... [et al.].
Note: Statement of responsibility on t.p. reads, [all four authors].
Trace all four authors as added entries.

That way, the tracings are justified from the descriptive cataloging note.

--
Robert C.W. Hall, Jr.
Technical Services Associate Librarian