>From the announcement:

“We endorse the report, with the conditions articulated by the committee. Even
though there are many in the library community who would like to see a single
“yes” or “no” response to the question should we implement RDA, the reality is
that any standard is complicated and will take time to develop. We also
recognize that the library world cannot operate in a vacuum. The entire
bibliographic framework will have to change along the lines recommended in the
report of the Working Group on the Future of Bibliographic Control. The
implementation of RDA is one important piece, but there are many others that
must be dealt with simultaneously. We especially note the need to address the
question of the MARC standard, suggested by many of the participants in the RDA
test. As part of addressing the conditions identified, LC will have a small
number of staff members who participated in the test resume applying RDA in the
interim.  This will allow LC to prepare for training, documentation, and other
preparatory tasks related to the further development and implementation of RDA."

and

"We believe that the long-term benefits of adopting RDA will be worth the
short-term anxieties and costs. The Test Coordinating Committee quite rightly
noted the economic and organizational realities that cause every librarian to
ask if this is the time to make a dramatic change in cataloging. Our collective
answer is that libraries must create linkages to all other information
resources in this Web environment. We must begin now. Indefinite delay in
implementation simply means a delay in our effective relationships with the
broader information community.”

There are many conditions to be met per the report of the test coordinating
committee, some affect RDA itself and others affect related tools like MARC.
The work is just beginning.

Matthew Beacom