Karen Coyle wrote,

... recent Code4Lib journal:

http://journal.code4lib.org/articles/5468

> One of the difficulties of deciding what we do and do not want to keep
> in MARC, or what we want to move over to the RDA environment, is that we
> have no dictionary of everything that MARC covers. For example, what
> standard identifiers are available in MARC? They are scattered all over the format,...

Yours is a worthwhile endeavor, no doubt.

You may try a database which, although as good as current current, has been in
existence for a long time and under a somewhat old-fashioned interface.
And it covers not just MARC but several other formats as well, even Unimarc and
the old BNBMARC and a few more obscure ones.

You get into the alphabetical list of field and subfield names
directly like this, (add your keyword to the end of it)

http://www.biblio.tu-bs.de/db/formate/page.php?urG=KWD&urA=24&urS=

There's also a MARC tag index:

http://www.biblio.tu-bs.de/db/formate/page.php?urG=MRC&urA=24&urS=...

The alphabetical listing contains all sorts of words, even German ones,
but all the MARC terms are marked M21 plus the actual MARC tag.

May it help,
B.Eversberg