Gene Fieg wrote:

> I seem to remember, maybe it was oral history or something like that, but if
> the phrase were connected to the person and really did not represent a
> subtitle, it was connected to area of responsibility.
>
> For instance: The moon over the hill / |c a romantic novel by Billy
> Misbegotten.

Other title information includes more than just "subtitle" (and what is the
definition of "subtitle" anyway?  I don't think it's even clear enough to fit
into the "I know one when I see one" category).  In fact, there are cases where
phrases like the one shown above are obviously intended to be descriptive of
the work, and should be recorded as other title information, not merely
appendages to the statement of responsibility.  For example:

        The butler did it : a comedy thriller / by Walter Marks and Peter Marks.

So, it's descriptive of the resource, which makes it fit into 2.3.4.1, but
because there happens to be that pesky little two-letter word "by" involved, it
has to be recorded as statement of responsibility per 2.4.1.8?  In the RDA
example for the resource Characters from Dickens, the word "by" must make all
the difference for where the phrase "dramatised adaptations" goes.  So where is
the line between "other title information" and "noun phrase"?  I must need new
glasses, because I don't see it.

And because of that, I maintain that it doesn't really matter.  Let the
cataloger put it wherever he/she thinks it fits best; the user will still find
it and understand (or not understand) the record just the same either way.

Kevin M. Randall
Principal Serials Cataloger
Bibliographic Services Dept.
Northwestern University Library