From: Resource Description and Access / Resource Description and Access
[mailto:RDA-L@listserv.lac-bac.gc.ca] On Behalf Of Adam L. Schiff
Sent: Monday, April 02, 2012 3:22 PM
To: RDA-L@listserv.lac-bac.gc.ca
Subject: [RDA-L] Undifferentiated personal names

John Myers' posts mocking up possible ways to display information to
disambiguate two identical names made me wonder if perhaps it would be useful
to add a new element to authority records to record relationship designators
from RDA Appendix I representing the roles of a person.
For example:

100 1# $a Smith, John
3XX    $a author, $a librettist, $a editor

100 1# $a Smith, John
3XX    $a programmer

100 1# #a Smith, John
3XX    $a film director, $a screenwriter

100 1# $a Smith, John
3XX    $a transcriber

100 1# $a Smith, John
3XX    $a translator, $a illustrator

Now I do realize that that perhaps Profession or Occupation represented by some
of these roles might be able to be used as a qualifier added to the authorized
access point of some of these names, but I'm wondering if having roles
(especially multiple roles where a single qualifier could misrepresent a
person) recorded in a separate element might be useful.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Adam L. Schiff
Principal Cataloger
University of Washington Libraries