<snip>

> The alternative I've suggested would have:
>
> Content type: still image
> Media type: projected
> Carrier type: slide
> Extent of carrier type: 100 slides
>
> and with entirely new element...
> Content extent: 100 photographs
>
> This would capture the information of 100 photographs converted to slides,
> which would be lost in this use of extent for carrier over content whenever
> the media type switches from unmediated.

<snip>

I like this alternative much better.  It would be very much simpler to have
two distinct lists of extent terms.  I would be tempted to display like
this:
(collection of 100 slides) >>
Content type: still image (100 images)
Media type: projected
Carrier type: slide  (100 slides)

(3 vol. atlas) >>
Content type: cartographic (1 atlas)
Media type: unmediated
Carrier type: volume (3 volumes)

(1 book containing 13 short stories) >>
Content type: text  (13 short stories)
Media type: unmediated
Carrier type: volume (1 volume)

If one wanted physical dimensions of the carrier, one could add that:

Content type: cartographic (1 atlas)
Media type: unmediated
Carrier type: volume (3 volumes)   (54 x 28 cm)

I offer the description of the short story collection as an indication of
possibilities, (desirable or un-).

--
Adger Williams
Colgate University Library