The wikipedia article is a stub, and will undoubtedly be expanded if he has fans, but it points to the publisher web site that gives additional information, including that he writes under the other name.

Sorry, but I really don't think that the library data does more for me as a user than what I can get elsewhere, and in fact there are explanations (like linking the pseudonym to the book series he writes under) that I don't get from an authority record.

kc

On 5/15/12 12:23 PM, Brenndorfer, Thomas wrote:
-----Original Message-----
From: Resource Description and Access / Resource Description and Access
[mailto:RDA-L@LISTSERV.LAC-BAC.GC.CA] On Behalf Of Karen Coyle
Sent: May 15, 2012 2:57 PM
To: RDA-L@LISTSERV.LAC-BAC.GC.CA
Subject: Re: [RDA-L] Library access without library catalogs

Thanks, Thomas. I took a quick look at the JSC document. (I have the FRBR
book and will look through it. I didn't realize it was up on
scribd.) The JSC doc has 3 use cases that I will add to my list. I suspect
that every one of them can be resolved without resorting to the library
catalog. For example, the one on finding other books by an author -- I can
think of lots of ways to answer that question that might occur to today's
users (Amazon, Wikipedia, the author's web site),

The user who isn't successful searching for a person's name as found on a book
may have this kind of trouble:

A library catalog distinguishes between Dugald Steer and his pseudonym, Ernest
Drake.

Amazon is not of much help, as it lists a fake biography of Ernest Drake:
http://www.amazon.com/Ernest-Drake/e/B001NPIIZ0/ref=ntt_athr_dp_pel_1

with this skimpy author page for Dugald Steer
http://www.amazon.com/Dugald-Steer/e/B001H6ELHO/ref=ntt_athr_dp_pel_2

and no cross reference. Amazon appears to be quite convinced that Ernest Drake
is an author and Dugald Steer is an editor.

Wikipedia entry for Dugald Steer doesn't mention that the name "Ernest Drake"
can appear on his books:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dugald_Steer

Only in the library catalog authority record for Dugald Steer do we find the
full magnitude of what is happening:

100     1       ‡aSteer, Dugald
400     1       ‡aSteer, Dug
500     1       ‡wnnnc‡aDrake, Ernest
500     1       ‡wnnnc‡aSands, Emily
500     1       ‡wnnnc‡aEvans, Hestia
500     1       ‡wnnnc‡aLubber, William,‡d1965-
500     1       ‡aHardcastle, Henry,‡d1965-
500     1       ‡wnnnc‡aGray, Allen

The FRBR/FRAD user tasks live or die based upon the available data elements. If
the data is missing (whether in a library catalog or anywhere else) then the
user task fails.

Thomas Brenndorfer
Guelph Public Library

--