What makes you such an expert on the second objective of the catalog? Oh,
right <http://ils.unc.edu/mpact/mpact.php?op=show_tree&id=2309>  (1994 :-)

According to Madison (2005), the draft versions of the IFLA report had a
"relate" task.

In the earliest discussion document (drafted by Tillett in December 1993
and based on discussions with Svenonius and Tucker), slightly different
terminology was used that denoted the functions of the catalog (i.e.,
identify, relate, assist in the choice, and provide access). By 1995, five
functions were described abstractly with a user focus (find, identify,
choose, obtain, and relate). While the “relate” function was later dropped
in the 1996 worldwide review version, the final report notes its important
role (in a sense a “fifth user task”) in assisting the user to relate one
entity to another or to “navigate” the universe of entities represented in
a bibliographic file or database.

 "Relate"  would seem to have been a good home for the second objective.
 I'm not sure why it fell out in final drafts.  In Barbara Tillett's
dissertation, the "Shared Characteristic Relationship" was included in the
taxonomy of bibliographic relationships, and  "is the most pervasive of all
relationships since it cccurs whenevern access point is duplicated"  Tillet
(1987, p.83).  It is so pervasive that it could be explained in a single
page, and was not covered in the empirical part of the dissertation.

Interestingly, if one accepts some form of relative
identity<http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/identity-relative/> ,
and starting from individual items, allow more properties to differ to form
different equivalent classes, it is possible to derive many of all of  the
FRBR group one entities using only the characteristics that are shared.

This is almost the same as "Near Equivalence"  (Yee 1993). The idea that
the different users  may have different criteria for whether an item is
"close enough" to match a request (and that the same user may have
different  criteria for different tasks) is identical.  A musicologist with
young children, who is studying the handwritten annotations on scores of
scores may require every copy of a specific manifestation, from multiple
institutions, in order to be able to do their research, but may only need
"anything by Dr. Seuss" in order to be allowed to do their research.

Simon