Bernadette O'Reilly wrote:

> I don't have any problems with the 19.2.1.1.1 list, since RDA clearly
> identifies corporate bodies with these roles as creators.  Just
> surprised to find that we'll be entering in 1XX some entities which RDA
> does not identify as creators, and thinking that people who don't have a
> lot of time to read RDA could get confused.

This should not be confusing, since it is no change at all from AACR2 (and
pre-AACR2) practice.  I don't believe 1XX has ever meant "creator"; it's always
meant "main entry heading" (in pre-RDA parlance).  There have always been
situations where someone other than a "creator" was in that position.  In RDA,
what we used to think of as "main entry heading" is now part of the "authorized
access point representing the work".  It may be a creator, or it may be some
other person, family or corporate body, just like it's always been.

In our training, we must try to avoid using shortcuts like "1XX equals
creator", because it just isn't true.  Not all 1XX headings are creators, and
not all creators go into 1XX.  Creator roles and authorized access points are
totally different concepts.

Kevin M. Randall
Principal Serials Cataloger
Bibliographic Services Dept.