"Assuming relator terms or role indicators are immensely helpful, all the more
important they be consistently and inclusively applied throughout the catalog.
Is LC going to retrospectively add them, OCLC? At present it's 270 million
records without relator terms, how many with? Even if OCLC can add relator
codes retrospectively overnight, won't we still have to re-export all records
that are now in our local catalogs? I suppose, in time all will be done but I
don't see any near term solutions."

I don't see a near term solution either. Over time records, especially
frequently-used records, will doubtless be updated, but it would seem that
comprehensive updating of all records would be daunting to the point of
impossibility.

However, if relator terms or role indicators are consistently added to new
records starting now, future searching will be facilitated. Over time records
including those attributes may well come to dominate catalogs. And if not all
of the legacy records get updated, might that be an indication that they
weren't searched or accessed as often as other records including more recent
ones? In 100 years catalog users looking for stuff by and about current film
participants may be no more numerous than catalog users doing searches on D.W.
Griffith are today. Not that I think that's a good thing, just that it seems
probable.

Mike Tribby
Senior Cataloger
Quality Books Inc.