There is nothing new being added here. Retrospective conversion will always be
an issue with every new code or tag. This doesn’t begin or end with RDA.

In our case, we have many A/V records with $4 relator codes that came with our
vendor-supplied records.

A simple solution to your problem is to not provide the search limit by relator
code (such as by “director”) at initial launch of a new code. Even without this
search limit I do see a side benefit in having the code displayed in full text
next to the name in the record. Nothing wrong with a labelled display when it’s
available. When critical mass is reached in terms of the usage of a new code,
then the new feature can be turned on.

Obviously, one step ahead of the other. Not sure why this not obvious.

For another perspective on retrospective conversion, a new library system we
installed a few years ago made heavy use of fixed field codes. In the past,
systems tolerated missing or incorrect codes, but no longer. This has meant
significant retrospective cleanup.

The qualities one would look for in finding ways to expedite retrospective
cleanup is the use of batch change tools, and good advanced search (at the SQL
level ideally) tools for catalogers. Controlled terms and codes are much easier
to work with than free-text data.

The more we get data in this form, the ***EASIER*** it will become. The more we
move to what is in RDA, with its database-friendly (and therefore ultimately
user-friendly) approach, the ***EASIER*** it will become. Perpetuating bad
practice for some false premise of “less access” based upon functionality that
is entirely optional until one is ready is incredibly bad advice.

Thomas Brenndorfer
Guelph Public Library