Honestly, I doubt patrons will, or ever do, think about who puts the data in
the catalog, at all.

That said, when the new 264 fields were implemented we changed our display
(running Aleph v.20) so that is reads "Publication:" for 264:x1: and
"Copyright:" for 264:x4:.  (Which by the way we were able to do because 264 is
differently defined than 260.)

I think it looks just fine, and not even slightly crazy--even if they are the
same date.

Under AACR2 we used copyright date as a surrogate for publication date, when it
was nowhere to be found; but under RDA it is (appropriately, I think) a
separate data element.  I think this makes sense, for two reasons: first,
because that is typically how it appears on books (with copyright and
publication often appearing in different places on the piece); and second,
because people are sometimes interested in copyrights in and of themselves, not
just in using them to identify books.

I've certainly had my share of questions about the utility of some decisions
that went into RDA, and its implementation; but for me at least this isn't one
of them.

Benjamin Abrahamse
Cataloging Coordinator
Acquisitions, Metadata and Enterprise Systems
MIT Libraries
617-253-7137