I agree with Chris and Thomas on this: the purpose of the 800 field is to
indicate the relationship of the work being described to a related work (the
series it is in). Just as the purpose of an analytical 700 is to reference a
related work (e.g., based on)

25.1.1.3 tells us there are three ways to reference a related work, through:
1. a linking identifier
2. an Authorized Access Point for the related work
3a. a structured description of the related work; or
3b. an unstructured description of the related work.

Since we are not using linking identifiers to reference related entities, in
our current MARC environment, we use Authorized Access Points; so the 800
must contain the Authorized Access Point for the related work, and could
contain a Relationship Designator to explain the relationship between the
two *works*. At this point, I assume we are using the 800 tag to indicate
the series relationship rather than adding $i In Series (Work).

So, the 800 is not the place to indicate the relationship of the creator to
the series work-that has to be done (somehow) in the record for the series
(whether that is another Bib record, or an authority record) and this 800
should read:

800 1_ $a Snyder, Maria V. $t Healer series ; $v 2.

Deborah

------
Deborah Fritz
MARC Database Consultant
The MARC of Quality
www.marcofquality.com
Voice/Fax: (321) 676-1904

Thomas Brenndorfer wrote:

> RDA Chapters 6.27 to 6.31 cover all the elements that are
> used for authorized access points for works. The authorized
> access points use only elements that are attributes for
> entities (such as preferred title, form of work, date of
> work, etc.). A person's name is often part of the authorized
> point for the work, but once added to create the access point
> the whole string is used to identify only the work entity.
>
> A relationship designator is an element that is used between
> two entities, such as between a person and a work.
>
> One would therefore have a relationship between two entities
> expressed in this way:
>
> Snyder, Maria V.
>
> <author> of work:
>
> Snyder, Maria V. Healer series
>
> with the full exact string "Snyder, Maria V. Healer series"
> standing in as the controlled identifier of the work.
---

Chris Rae Todd wrote:

> > I endorse Kevin's reading of this situation as the relationship
> > between a resource and the series that it is part of. I
> also went back
> > to chapter 6 to look at the instructions for creating authorised
> > access points for works.
> > The basic instruction involves adding the authorized access
> point for
> > the creator (where there is one) to the preferred title for the the
> > work. The relationship designator doesn't get a mention as part of
> > this structure, so I'm assuming it would not be part of the
> 800 field.
> >
> > Is that how others see this situation?

---

> > Kevin M. Randall wrote:
> >
> > What you have here is what appears to be a good MARC field based on
> > RDA instructions in Section 8, "Recording Relationships
> between Works,
> > Expressions, Manifestations, & Items", including 24.4.2,
> "Authorized
> > Access Point Representing the Related Work or Expression".
> This is an
> > access point, dealing with the relationship between related
> resources
> > (in this case the resource being cataloged and the series
> of which it
> > is a part).
> >
> > Statement of responsibility of the series is an attribute of the
> > manifestation and is handled in RDA Section 1, "Recording
> Attributes
> > of Manifestation & Item", specifically 2.12, "Series Statement".
> > Putting the series statement into MARC, and using ISBD formatting,
> > would result in something like this (I'm guessing at what
> may actually
> > be appearing on the
> > resource):
> >
> >     490 1_ $a Healer series / $c Maria V. Snyder ; $v 2
---