Arakawa, Steven (Tuesday, December 18, 2012 11:35 AM) said:

Did I understand this correctly?

1.  Parallel title proper on the cover but not on the title page: transcribe
parallel title from cover as part of the title statement transcription (in
MARC 245) without brackets. (which has been my practice) It's hard to
imagine any justification for recording a parallel title external to the
resource.

[DF:] That is my understanding of 2.3.3.2: "Take parallel titles proper from
any source within the resource."

But don't forget: 2.3.3.3: "If a parallel title proper is taken from a
different source than the title proper, and that fact is considered
important, make a note on the source (see 2.20.2.3)."

And, if you *did* want to record a parallel title from an outside source:
2.2.4 allows us to "indicate that fact either by means of a note or by some
other means (e.g., through coding or the use of square brackets)." In this
situation, I would rather use a note, which I would enter in 246, e.g.:

246 1# $i Parallel title from publisher's site:
 ------------------
2. Other title on the cover but not on the title page: make a combination
note and variant other title in 246 under certain circumstances, but do not
transcribe the other title in MARC 245.

[DF:] Based on John Hostage's explanation, we should not think of this
information as Other Title Information (because it is not on the same source
as the Title Proper) but as a Variant Title, but the end result would be the
same, except for the labeling of the information.
--------------------
 Some alternatives that occur to me since all parallel titles are core but
the other title is not core (while the other title is core in LCPS, this
might explain the difference in the handling of the other title vs the
parallel title in RDA)
        a. Just make a note in 500 if the other title is considered to be
important for keyword access; unless your system cannot do keyword indexing
of the 500 note, make a 246 only if you routinely make a 246 for other
titles when they appear on the title page. Do not transcribe the other title
in 245 $b with or without brackets.

[DF:] Yes, but see my reply under '2' above; and since 246 are usually
keyword indexed, I would use 246--with first indicator '3' (note/no added
entry)--instead of a 500 note, to make it easy for another cataloger to
'turn on browse indexing'--using first indicator '1' (note/added entry)--if
desired, e.g.:
246 3# $i Variant title from cover: $a VF-17's Top Guns in World War II
-----------------------
        b. If the presentation on the cover is ambiguous -- the other title
could possibly be interpreted as the title proper -- make a 246 1  $i Other
title on cover: $a <other title> -- Just as you would if you had  the same
situation on the title page. Do not transcribe the other title in 245 $b
with or without brackets.

[DF:] Yes, but based on John's explanation again, this would be:
246 1# $i Variant title on cover: $a <variant title>
-------------------------
I suppose most of these 246 $i or 500 notes will be comprehensible only to
catalogers conversant in ISBD. "If considered to be important ..."

[DF:] Sometimes we just have to add these things to help other catalogers
with the identification process

Deborah

Deborah Fritz
TMQ, Inc.