Mac,

I agree with many of your observations, e.g. that in practice it doesn't make much difference whether a corporate body gets main or added entry. Users probably won't even notice it.

Still, I don't think we can simply ignore the relevant RDA rules and stick to our tradition. Because if text strings are used for recording relationships to works and expressions, it will make an important difference whether the corporate body is first creator (i.e. main entry) or not. It would have been much easier if RDA had truly abandoned the concept of main vs. added entry (sigh...).

Well, we'll simply have to think hard and find the best possible solutions in these (and other) difficult areas. Maybe sometimes a pragmatical approach is in order (e.g. perhaps we don't need full authority records for those congresses which didn't count as corporate bodies before). Certainly, we shouldn't spend a lot of work in areas where there is no real benefit for patrons.

Heidrun