Dan Matei said:

This "super entity" would be useful. When I search for "Bill Clinton", I would
like to get:

Bill Clinton (as himself): n1 entities;
Bill Clinton (as governor of Arkansas): n2 entities;
Bill Clinton (as president of USA): n3 entities.

Likewise: search for "Frederic Dannay":

Ellery Queen: m1 entities;
Barnaby Ross: m2 entities.

Likewise: search for "Ferry":

Brian Ferry: k1 entities;
Brian Ferry and Roxy Music: k2 entities;
Roxy Music: k3 entities.

Possible ?

Yes, I think all these cases could be covered by a super entity. Technically, as I already said, this might simply be a "super identifier" shared by all authority records which belong together. I'm not an IT person myself, but if I understand it correctly, a shared identifier would be much easier to handle for retrieval purposes than if the system had to follow up connections via 5XX fields (perhaps even over several stages, as with chronologically linked corporate bodies).

I believe it should be possible to write a programme which would add these super identifiers automatically, according to certain predefined rules (at least in our brand-new Uniform Authority File this should be possible, as the kind of relationship is always explicitly coded).

In actual retrieval, I can imagine various scenarios. The basic idea would be that the system first arrives at a certain authority record as a result of the keywords entered, e.g. the authority record for Robin Hobb. The system would then find the super identifier included in this record and automatically search for all other records with the same super identifier.

What happens next would be up to systems design. One possibility is to display all the different headings and ask the user to choose from this list; then the hits belonging to the selected headings would be displayed. Or the system might, for a start, only display the hits belonging to the first authority record found, but it would also display a message, e.g. "Do you also want to see the hits for the following, relatied entries: ... ?". Or the hits for all related headings could be shown from the start, giving the user a possibility to limit the hit list according to the headings (e.g. in a facet).

Heidrun

--
Prof. Heidrun Wiesenmueller M.A.