I disagree with Mr. Arakawa.  Color does apply to illustrations in RDA.
The instruction at 7.15.1.3  specifically deals with illustrations, and
7.17.1.3 goes on to the color aspect of content - with the examples at
7.17.1.3 also reinforcing that the instruction applies to illustrations as
a type of content.

RDA suggests a practical approach for the cataloger to indicate colors when
a cataloger thinks it is important to mention (note: these are not "core
elements").  Generally that would be when the colors are other than the
black/white/gray colors normally used for printing.  If the illustrations
are black and white or grays, we just say "illustrations" as most
publications are printed as black (or shades of gray) on white paper, but
if that fact was noteworthy, we could say it in a note.

I think the interesting issue Joan Wang brought up is the expression
characteristic for content, and that is where RDA probably needs revision
to deal with the current rare materials instruction that simply carried
forward the AACR2 rule to provide the characteristic of hand-colored
illustrations as an item characteristic.
--
Dr. Barbara B. Tillett, Ph.D.
Chair, Joint Steering Committee for Development of RDA