Amanda,

unlike REICAT, RAK is pre-FRBR. It is, as it were, of the same generation as AACR2. Still, there are some interesting differences between RAK and AACR2.

In the mid-1990s, there was a project to develop a modernized version of RAK under the working title "RAK2". Among other things, the concept of main vs. added entry was to be abandoned in favour of having just "access points", with all of them being of equal value. There also are some striking similarities between RAK2 and RDA: RAK2 would already have followed the principle of "what you see is what you transcribe", and it would (unlike RAK) also have allowed for a lot of liberty with respect to access points (only some of them were prescribed, but many more would have been possible according to cataloger's judgement). This project was abandoned in 2001 for a strategy of moving towards AACR2 (and later, RDA). Many people (including myself) weren't too happy with this. The collection of essays mentioned by John Hostage ("RAK versus AACR : Projekte, Prognosen, Perspektiven : Beiträge zur aktuellen Regelwerksdiskussion") stems from this time of heated discussions.

Unfortunately, we are sadly lacking in introductory texts on German cataloging (especially, of course, those written in English). That's why my idea for a project consists partly of a collection of essays covering important aspects of German cataloging.

In addition to the sources Bernhard has already listed, maybe a good starting point is indeed the 2003 collection "Historical aspects of cataloging and classification" already mentioned by Charles Croissant, which was also published as v. 35 of Cataloging & classification quarterly. You can find the table of contents here:
http://catalogingandclassificationquarterly.com/ccq35nr1-2.html
http://catalogingandclassificationquarterly.com/ccq35nr3-4.html

In addition to Charles' own article ("RAK or AACR2? : the current discussion in Germany on cataloging codes"), there is one on "The development of descriptive cataloging in Germany" by Hans Popst and another called "Serials cataloging in Germany: the historical development" by Hartmut Walravens.

Heidrun