I have what is probably a naïve question, touching on RDA and BIBFRAME.  I'll
preface the question with an example. Imagine a resource with the following
title page:

"

An heroic epistle to an unfortunate monarch, by Peregrine the Elder.

Enriched with explanatory notes.

The second edition.
London: Published in the year MDCCLXXVIII by E. Benson
"

Let's suppose that a cataloger encoded the data in one of the following
(imaginary) schemes:

Encoding 1

<titleStatement>An heroic epistle to an unfortunate monarch, by Peregrine the
Elder. Enriched with explanatory notes.</titleStatement>

<editionStatement>The second edition.</edition>

<imprint>London: Published in the year MDCCLXXVIII by E. Benson</imprint>

Encoding 2

<titlePage>

An heroic epistle to an unfortunate monarch, by Peregrine the Elder.

Enriched with explanatory notes.

The second edition.

London: Published in the year MDCCLXXVIII by E. Benson

</titlePage>

Would these encodings be considered valid RDA cataloging for the elements
covered in the example? That is, would these encodings satisfy the RDA core
requirements for Title, Statement of Responsibility, Edition statement, and
Publication statement? All of the required data is included, but it is not
encoded in parsed fields equivalent to RDA elements. Does this make it invalid?
If not, would it be reasonable to expect BIBFRAME to accommodate (or play well
with) encoding scenarios such as these?

Francis

Francis Lapka, Catalog Librarian
Yale Center for British Art, Department of Rare Books and Manuscripts
1080 Chapel Street, PO Box 208280, New Haven, CT  06520
203.432.9672    francis.la...@yale.edu<mailto:francis.la...@yale.edu>