From: Resource Description and Access / Resource Description and Access
[mailto:RDA-L@LISTSERV.LAC-BAC.GC.CA] On Behalf Of John Hostage
Sent: Monday, March 04, 2013 2:23 PM
To: RDA-L@LISTSERV.LAC-BAC.GC.CA
Subject: Re: [RDA-L] Use of ISBD punctuation with RDA. And a workshop.

The "double punctuation" in the latest revision of the ISBD was introduced
to accommodate systems in certain other countries where ISBD punctuation has
always been supplied by the system, not typed manually by catalogers.  The
argument was that it was too complicated to program systems to not add a
period after "ed.", for example, but to add one in other cases.  It was not
argued that it somehow looked better or made more sense to the user.  To my
mind, this was privileging machine convenience before human readability, but
I lost that argument.

That being said, I see no reason that those of us who use MARC 21 systems
where we still have to manually input the punctuation should type in double
punctuation.  If an area ends in an abbreviation and we do not double the
punctuation, there will be no harm done.  In a system that does not add
punctuation or only adds a dash between areas, the abbreviation will look
fine with only one period.  On the other hand, if the record is imported
into a system that does supply punctuation and we have input two periods,
they will end up with 3 periods.

John Hostage, editor of the consolidated edition of the ISBD

John Hostage
Authorities and Database Integrity Librarian Harvard Library--Information
and Technical Services Langdell Hall 194 Cambridge, MA 02138
host...@law.harvard.edu
+(1)(617) 495-3974 (voice)
+(1)(617) 496-4409 (fax)