It seems to me there are two separate issues here.

The first has to do with letting the student/institution correct the title
and re-issue the resource.  That would happen outside the cataloging
process and RDA doesn't really come into play.  (I suppose technically this
would be a new manifestation, but that may be moot since the old
manifestation wouldn't exist anymore.)

The other issue is if you catalog the current manifestation with the typo
in the title proper.  I think it is possible to have all three fields:

1) You'd have a 245 where you transcribe the Title Proper of the
Manifestation as it appears, with the typo.

2) You'd also have a 246 where you can enter the Variant Title of the
Manifestation (which is the Title Proper of the Manifestation with the typo
corrected).

3) You *can* also have a 240 with the Preferred Title of the Work.  And the
title of the work *can* be identical in content to the Title Proper of the
Manifestation, or to a corrected version of it (a Variant Title of the
Manifestation).  But in FRBR world I think it is conceptually a different
element.

>> "But 246 is defined as Varying Form of Title, and a corrected typo is
not a variation of the real title in the same way that spelling out ‘and’
for & is," <<

When you say "real title" I think it is important to distinguish between
"real title of the manifestation" versus "real title of the work."  If
we're talking about manifestation, RDA defines "variant" title as including
corrected versions of titles (RDA 2.6.3.1. e)).  So by RDA's definition, a
corrected typo is a "variation" of the real title--of the manifestation.
 It is in the same category as spelling out "and" for ampersand.

Meanwhile, your Preferred Title of the Work may be identical in content to
either the Title Proper of the Manifestation or a corrected Variant of it.

As some have pointed out, in reality, if the 240 is going to be identical
in content to either the 245 or the 246, it is not typical to include the
240.  This might be driven by practical reasons: the 240 in this case may
be seen as unnecessary because it won't increase access, provide any
collocation, aid in selection, etc. (but it does increase workload).  But I
don't see why--at least from a theoretical standpoint--we couldn't have all
three (245, 246, 240) if we wanted to.  They are conceptually different
elements.  (I'll also note that Preferred Title of the Work is a core
element in RDA.)

>> "Rather, isn’t the corrected (or intended) title actually the title of
the Work (instead of the Manifestation) and therefore shouldn’t it be
recorded in 240 instead of 246?" <<

So I say, couldn't it be both?  Consider the case of a manifestation that
has a typo in the title proper *and* it just so happens that the work
embodied by this manifestation also has other expressions/manifestations
out there.  Wouldn't you have all three (245, 246, 240)?  The 245 would be
for the title proper with typo, the 246 would be for the corrected title
proper, and the 240 would be for the work title.  Here, the work title *
might* be identical to the 246, *or* it might be identical to a 245/246
from one of the *other *manifestations out there.

Arthur Liu
MLS Candidate
Simmons College