On 08/03/2013 02:02, Robert Maxwell wrote:
<snip>
> The one core relationship in RDA is to record the relationship between the
> resource being cataloged and the work manifested in it (see RDA 17.3). There
> are several ways to do this. One of the ways to do it is by using an
> authorized access point for the work (see 17.4.2.2). In current practice if
> there is only one work or expression manifested in the resource being
> cataloged, the authorized access point for the work is recorded in
> bibliographic 1XX + 240 (or 130 if there is no principal creator). So in this
> case, the purpose of 1XX/240 (or 7XX author-title) is to record the
> relationship of the resource being cataloged with the work contained in it,
> not to unite manifestations/works/expressions with different titles. In this
> case the title proper of the manifestation is evidently not the preferred
> title for the work, so the 1XX/240 is necessary to record the relationship
> between the resource and the work that is in it.
</snip>

This shows the difference between RDA/FRBR and cataloging rules that
came before. RDA/FRBR are philosophical, academic statements while AACR2
and previous rules are pragmatic and based on practical issues. RDA/FRBR
posits that every manifestation contains a work, and a specific version
of that work, the expression. Therefore, every manifestation must
contain the requisite work and expression information, even if there is
only one manifestation.

Previous rules did not make such a philosophical statement. They began
by creating a record for the item, then *if and only if* it turned out
that your item were related to records of other items, you would make
those relations in various ways. In the physical catalogs (card and
book), this was achieved through filing those cards together in
different ways, by typing the heading at the top of the card, which
would tell the card filers where the card should be placed in the
catalog. This system was continued into the OPACs. Therefore, before
RDA/FRBR, works and expressions were *arrangements of records* created
only when necessary. If not necessary, the cataloger could forget about
works and expressions. All very tangible and exceedingly practical.

As Robert points out: "the purpose of 1XX/240 (or 7XX author-title) is
to record the relationship of the resource being cataloged with the work
contained in it, not to unite manifestations/works/expressions with
different titles" and everything becomes much more complex for the
cataloger. *Every* manifestation automatically "contains" a work and
expression and therefore, this information must be in the record
somewhere. This is definitely more complicated for the cataloger to
create, and any real advantages for searchers has never been shown. The
traditional FRBR user tasks can now be done using facets by anyone in
the world but nobody seems to want to celebrate that success or even
want to do it, while the push toward making our catalog records into
"data" is also very doubtful.

The example of the typographical error in the title is a great example
of all of this: what do you do with a typo in the title? In the past it
was simple: you just make an added title with the corrected form, but
now this becomes a difference from the "ideal/preferred title" (title of
the work), when that "ideal/preferred title" doesn't even exist! A
metaphysical solution! Not very tangible nor very practical. The final
product for the searchers will allow them to find the item by using
correct spelling, which is exactly what happens today. They won't notice
a thing.

Practical concerns have never been RDA/FRBR's strong point however. I
can only hope that in the BIBFRAME, they will come up with some method
to make the creation of the work, expression and manifestation entities
as efficiently as possible with a minimum of duplication. Otherwise, the
resulting format will be so complex, no web developer will be able to
make heads or tails out of it.
--
*James Weinheimer* weinheimer.ji...@gmail.com
*First Thus* http://catalogingmatters.blogspot.com/