Gene,

I wish it were so.

But 2.4.1.4 states, "Transcribe a statement of responsibility in the form in
which it appears on the source of information."  Immediately followed by the
"optional omission", "Abridge a statement of responsibility only if it can be
abridged without loss of essential information."  I have looked in vain for
something similar to AACR2 1.1F7., "Include titles and abbreviations of titles
of nobility, address, honour, and distinction ... Otherwise, omit all such data
from statements of responsibility", and not found it.  I have also queried the
RDA luminaries on this list and been told that including affiliations if they
appear on the t.p. is part of RDA's adherence to "principle of representation".

The fact that there are no examples of this in RDA just means JSC either didn't
think of it or didn't want to get into it.  Moreover the example I copied to
the list was one I found in OCLC (there are plenty more of them, if you start
looking).  So, if this is not what RDA intends, the rules need to be made
clearer, as it's how catalogers are interpreting it.

Personally I would prefer that the optional omission be applied in these cases.
There is value to the "principle of representation" of course, but I believe
that value needs to be balanced against the fact that title pages have many
more visual devices available to them (use of white space, font and font size,
italic vs. roman, etc.) to communicate to users what information is essential
and what is not.  Since these cues are not available in a surrogate, the
cataloger should be able (and encouraged) to use his or her editorial judgment.

--Ben

Benjamin Abrahamse
Cataloging Coordinator
Acquisitions, Metadata and Enterprise Systems
MIT Libraries
617-253-7137