2.2.4 goes on to say: " If information taken from a source outside the
resource itself is supplied in any of the elements listed below, indicate
that fact either by means of a note or by some other means (e.g., through
coding or the use of square brackets)." And Edition statement is listed
below.

And the LC PCC PS for this says: "Use square brackets if information taken
from a source outside a resource itself is supplied in any of the elements
listed."

So, unless the rule for the element specifically mentions a note (as the
instruction for 2.3.6.3 Recording Variant Title does "Make a note on the
source or basis for the variant title (see
<http://access.rdatoolkit.org/document.php?id=rdachp2&target=rda2-8709#rda2-
8709> 2.20.2.3) if it is considered important for identification or
access.") we can indicate that the data came from a source outside the
resource itself by entering it inside square brackets.

Deborah

Deborah Fritz

TMQ, Inc.

 <mailto:debo...@marcofquality.com> debo...@marcofquality.com