Agreed, they are different elements so it is not redundant. In addition, I am mostly cataloging materials where there is no formal publication statement, just a copyright statement. I think it will be less confusing to users and to copy catalogers if i actually have a date on the piece, to indicate that someplace on the record, whether in the 264 as a copyright date or in a note. Just a bracketed date of publication is quite ambiguous--it can mean that you inferred the date from a stated copyright date, that you inferred the date from somewhere else in the item, or that you just guessed. So a copy cataloger coming upon the record doesn't know whether the piece actually has a date on it or not, making it more challenging to decide if they have the right record.

Greta de Groat
Stanford University Libraries