From: Resource Description and Access / Resource Description and Access
[mailto:RDA-L@LISTSERV.LAC-BAC.GC.CA] On Behalf Of Joan Wang
Sent: Monday, April 08, 2013 12:42 PM
To: RDA-L@LISTSERV.LAC-BAC.GC.CA
Subject: Re: [RDA-L] recording non-diacritic characters in the title

My slide is as the following. See if it is helpful.

•Use square brackets with a description to replace symbols that cannot be
reproduced and make an explanatory note if necessary 1.7.5

Example:  My name is Brain [crossed out] Brian

•LC-PS: use techniques such as omit the symbol, or replace by existing
characters without serious distortion or loss of intelligibility for a minimum
of interpolation to users’ searching and interpretation.

Example:

245   $a "W" today! Tomorrow?

246   $a Women today! Tomorrow?

500   $a In title, the symbol for female appears under the letter "W" .

When I was your age

245   $a When I was your age STOP

500   $a In title, "STOP" appears as a stop sign.

I ❤ a piano

245   $a I [love] a piano

246   $a I heart a piano

500   $a On title page "[love]" appears as a heart.

Thanks,
Joan Wang
Illinois Heartland Library System

On Mon, Apr 8, 2013 at 11:20 AM, Baumgarten, Richard, JCL