The reason you don't see the word active in the examples is because period of activity is a separate element in RDA, so by definition the dates recorded in that element are activity/flourished dates. Since there isn't a separate element for this in MARC 21, we have to add in the word "active" to the access points.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Adam L. Schiff
Principal Cataloger
University of Washington Libraries