From: Resource Description and Access / Resource Description and Access
[mailto:RDA-L@LISTSERV.LAC-BAC.GC.CA] On Behalf Of JSC Secretary
Sent: Friday, May 24, 2013 10:04 PM
To: RDA-L@LISTSERV.LAC-BAC.GC.CA
Subject: Re: [RDA-L] Can "Lecturer" be used as a valid fas track relahave
a good example of a DVD + Book RDA

On May 24, 2013 6:45 PM, "Dana Van Meter" <vanme...@ias.edu> wrote:

This answer prompts some questions for me.

1.  Are we allowed to use, then, the more specific terms indented
underneath the relationship designator performer (which is in bold), or
are we to use performer only, to cover all those types of situations
represented by the more specific indented & not in bold terms? If we can
use the more specific indented terms, how were we supposed to know that? I
wasn't sure if we are allowed to use these indented terms, or if they're
just further (and more specific) examples of what is meant by the bold
faced code. If we can use these more specific indented terms, I think it
might be helpful if RDA specifically said that following the definition of
a bold faced term ("or you can use these more specific terms", or
something to that effect).  Using the example of the term "author", I see
that there are MARC relator codes for the more specific terms
librettist[lbt] and lyricist [lyr], but there isn't a MARC code for
screenwriter, so I would not automatically assume that I could use those
more specific indented terms as relator terms in a |e. There also seem to
be MARC relator codes for terms which are not named in RDA, such as Music
copyist [mcp].  Are we able to use relationship designators or terms such
as "music copyist" in a |e if they have a MARC 3-letter code, even if the
term does not appear in RDA?

2.  I have a print series which contains lectures, can |e performer be
used for lecturers/speakers when the lecture is in print form?

Thank you for your help.

Dana Van Meter
Catalog Librarian
Historical Studies-Social Science Library
Institute for Advanced Study
Princeton, NJ 08540
vanme...@ias.edu