From: Resource Description and Access / Resource Description and Access
[mailto:RDA-L@LISTSERV.LAC-BAC.GC.CA] On Behalf Of Christopher Thomas
Sent: Thursday, June 06, 2013 14:40
To: RDA-L@LISTSERV.LAC-BAC.GC.CA
Subject: [RDA-L] Qualifiers for "Laws, etc."

Under the old LC Rule Interpretation 25.15A1, we always used a qualifier with
the uniform title "Laws, etc.".  I am having a hard time finding similar
provisions in the LC/PCC PS or RDA, although LC and PCC seem to be using
qualifiers with "Laws, etc." under RDA.

For example, "Laws, etc. (Hyderabad state laws)" is in one of the PCC/SCT RDA
record examples for law and legal materials at:
http://www.loc.gov/catworkshop/RDA%20training%20materials/SCT%20RDA%20Records%20TG/

These are links to 3 more RDA records in LC's catalog with "Laws, etc."
qualified:
http://lccn.loc.gov/2013352356
http://lccn.loc.gov/2010217987
http://lccn.loc.gov/2010503873

The old guidelines were very detailed and included special provisions for
session laws and compiled statutes of U.S. states.  RDA 6.19.2.5.1 says to use
"Laws, etc." for compilations of laws but does not mention qualifiers, and
neither does the corresponding LC/PCC PS.  Is this now covered somewhere else
in RDA?

Christopher Thomas, M.L.S. | Electronic Resources and Metadata Librarian
(949) 824-7681 | fax (949) 824-6700 |
ctho...@law.uci.edu<mailto:ctho...@law.uci.edu>
Law Library * University of California * Irvine
www.law.uci.edu/library<http://www.law.uci.edu/library>
[Logo_size03]

<<inline: image001.jpg>>