>Or do you see collapsing the separate "?" and "ca." practices (and
>RDA equivalents) into a single "somewhere around this date" approach?

Yes, I favour combining the two similar categories, using "?" for
both, if we are not allowed to retain "ca.".  I've thought of no
solution for the loss of "fl.".  We don't need English words
introduced into access points, so will not do it.  I can think of no
defense of this RDA practice to use with our non Anglophone clients.

It is a pity we are abandoning the international consensus represented
by Latin abbreviations.