This would be clearer if we were creating clear separate descriptions for the
separate entities (e.g. work/expression/manifestation/item descriptions, each
linked as appropriate to related entities such as the author of the work)
instead of the grab-bag of the current MARC bibliographic record.

You could make it clearer in a bibliographic record by giving an access point
for the work by the other author instead of giving a simple added access point
for the person:

700 12 Name. $t Metallurgy of tanged and looped spearheads.

Otherwise, yes, “author” is the relationship designator. The person is the
author of a resource represented in the bibliographic record. The fact that the
access point with “author” as a relationship designator is not clearly linked
to what the person is the author of is a problem with the MARC structure. Of
course leaving the relationship designator off makes it even less clear what
the person did in relationship to the bibliographic record (at least in my
opinion).

Bob

Robert L. Maxwell
Head, Special Collections and Formats Catalog Dept.
6728 Harold B. Lee Library
Brigham Young University
Provo, UT 84602
(801)422-5568

"We should set an example for all the world, rather than confine ourselves to
the course which has been heretofore pursued"--Eliza R. Snow, 1842.