Date: Mon, 5 Aug 2013 18:18:42 -0400
From: Dana Van Meter <vanme...@ias.edu>
To: RDA-L@LISTSERV.LAC-BAC.GC.CA
Subject: Re: [RDA-L] Main series & subseries

Hi Kevin and others,

I started writing this message before John & Deborah's comments came in,
but I'm going to include some further information because it seems that it
might change Kevin's decision.  Thanks everyone for your thoughts.  I'm
sorry I didn't include this information in my first message, as it could
be useful.  On the cover Champs is in red text and it's larger text,
essais is in smaller black text in a different font and it appears
somewhat in superscript next to Champs.  It appears the same way on the
t.p., however it's all in black lettering on the t.p.  The subtitle essais
follows directly after Champs, there is no space in between the two
titles.  Perhaps Champs being in red text that is larger is to
represent/suggest the main series, even though it is immediately followed
by essais.

I guess I have to get used to the 500 with the numbering and the 830
combination, it seems so foreign to me, although it shouldn't, it was done
with Republications in AACR2, although the 830 in question with
republications is for the earlier publication.  A 490 with Champs in
square brackets also seemed odd to do in RDA, but subseries are always a
mess due to layout issues by publishers, and I do fairly often have a
similar situation to this where series titles appear separately from their
numbering and transcribing becomes a bit tricky, so I thought I'd ask for
advice sooner rather than later.  I didn't know it was acceptable to have
an 830 without a paired 490 in RDA, so it is good to know that that is an
option.  If my above further info. about the color of the text and the
differing fonts and superscript text changes anyone's decision please let
me know.

Thanks everyone for your patience and help.

Sincerely,

Dana Van Meter

Cataloging Librarian

Historical Studies-Social Science Library

Institute for Advanced Study

Princeton, NJ 08540

vanme...@ias.edu

P.S.  Thank you Deborah for the rule numbers.  I'm wondering if in the 490
if I would do what John suggested, which is to do Champs essais, as it
appears with the lower case "e" in essais on the book, and without a
period, and then do it Champs (Flammarion (Firm)). Essais in the 830.