Technical Services Librarian
Brazosport College
Lake Jackson, TX
Michael.mitchell at brazosport.edu

-----Original Message-----
From: Resource Description and Access / Resource Description and Access
[mailto:RDA-L@LISTSERV.LAC-BAC.GC.CA] On Behalf Of Heidrun Wiesenmüller
Sent: Tuesday, August 20, 2013 2:19 AM
To: RDA-L@LISTSERV.LAC-BAC.GC.CA
Subject: Re: [RDA-L] Illustration terms in 7.15.1.3

Lynn wrote:

> Is there a reason we can't do something like this for graphic novels and the
> like:
>
> 1 volume of illustrations ; some color or 138 pages of illustrations ;
> some color
>
> I haven't gone through the RDA rules in depth like many of you, but 3.4.12.1
> says to give the number of units and/or subunits and if we look at the
> examples under 3.4.5.9 (leaves or pages of plates). It looks like 'pages of
> plates' would be considered a subunit, so why not consider 'volume of
> illustrations (or other appropriate term)' or 'pages of illustrations' a
> subunit.

The challenge is to find a solution which is easily understandable for our
users and also fits in with the internal logics of RDA (the second aim is the
harder one, I think).

As RDA now stands, if there is no text at all, you can't use the element
3.4.5 "Extent of text" (it is not quite clear to me whether it can/should be
used if there is a little bit of text, though). But you also cannot use the
element 3.4.4. "Extent of still image", if the resource is a volume. So you
need to work with the general rule in 3.4.1. The unit is supposed to be given
as a term from the carrier type list, which gives us "1 volume". If my
coffee-table book has 350 pages, I think these are the subunits, so we get "1
volume (350 pages)".

I don't think that, according to the logics of RDA, we can use "volume of
illustrations" instead of "volume". The alternative in 3.4.1.3 allows us to use
"a term in common usage" instead of the carrier type term, but I don't think
this applies here. I also think that we cannot use "pages of illustrations" as
the name of the subunit instead of a mere "pages".
The definition in 3.4.1.1 says a subunit is "a physical or logical subdivision
of a unit (e.g., a page of a volume, a frame of a microfiche, a record in a
digital file)".

The problem seems to be that illustrations are seen as belonging to the level
of the expression, whereas chapter 3 is only about manifestations.
However, it has been noted that RDA doesn't keep this distinction up
consistently in chapter 3: "1 map", for example, mixes up carrier and content.
The extent of the manifestation should really be "1 sheet". The information
that there is a map on the sheet should be treated somewhere in chapter 7.

I believe this is one of the main messages of the ALA discussion paper on
machine-actionable data, as Francis Lapka has already pointed out earlier on
this thread:
http://www.rda-jsc.org/docs/6JSC-ALA-Discussion-1.pdf

They propose to introduce a new element "extent of expression". So, we could
have "1 volume (350 pages)" as the "extent of manifestation"
according to chapter 3, and "300 illustrations" or some such as the "extent of
expression" according to chapter 7. That makes a lot of sense to me.

On the other hand, the EURIG discussion paper on illustrative content and other
augmentations http://www.rda-jsc.org/docs/6JSC-EURIG-Discussion-2.pdf
proposes a completely different approach.

They see illustrations not as a part of a certain expression but as a work in
its own right, of which the illustrator is the creator. Up to this point, I'm
quite willing to follow. I'm not so sure about the next
steps: The combination of the expression of a textual work and of an
illustration work is seen as taking place on the level of the manifestation. It
is argued that - if the illustrations are not described as a work in their own
right - the information should be handled as part of the description of the
carrier. Therefore, the idea is to move 7.15 to somewhere in chapter 3.

What bothers me is that illustrators are (if I understand the paper
correctly) supposed to be two different things at the same time:
1. creators of the illustration work
2. persons with a relationship to a manifestation, if the illustration work
isn't described in its own right

I think the situation is a bit similar to a volume of essays by different
authors: Each of them is a creator of his or her essay. But they are not seen
as having a direct relationship to the collection as such. They aren't creators
of their essay work *and also* contributors of the collection work. So how can
it be different for illustrators?

Heidrun

--
Prof. Heidrun Wiesenmueller M.A.